I am a full stack software developer located in Montevideo, Uruguay. I picked up programming as a hobby at a very young age and I've developed a successful career off of it helping other people deal with both the interesting and the boring problems that can be automated.
I am language agnostic, and have a very broad range of technical skills that allow me to be particularly useful in vertical problem-solving teams.
I've also had my fair share of experience training junior and intermediate developers become their best technical selves.
Jan 2022 - Present | Senior Backend Engineer
- Development and maintenance of key microservices handling Order processing, AuthN+AuthZ for internal and external users, custom data sync pipeline for external ERP system and logistics, among other backend-facing responsibilities.
- Switched API development model over to a gRPC-based toolchain to facilitate the documentation process and discovery, decrease amount of errors caught at runtime and improve inter-service communication performance.
- Coordinated multiple performance optimization efforts with frontend devs, taking ownership and providing hands-on collaboration across the stack.
- Created cross-platform, reproducible development environments and testing tools, turning backend services with complicated set-up requirements into turn-key software that can be ran and integration tested by members of the team and end-users alike with near zero set-up.
Sept 2017 - Jan 2022 | Technical Leader
- Created a fully responsive React+TypeScript SPA from scratch for a housekeeping-services provider, smoothly migrating from a PHP monolith and helping the client lead a new investment round with the new software system as a selling point. Later I rejoined the same team to help direct a Kubernetes-based microservice architecture unified by a federated GraphQL API.
- Maintained and developed the backend software and infrastructure of a fitness tracking device that consumed and aggregated large amounts of data per-user in a columnar database, processed it through machine learning and served the data via gRPC and RESTful APIS targeting a number of wildly dissimilar business usecases over the years. Evolved its cloud infrastructure from a multitude of hand-made AWS resources and EC2 instances to a fully reproducible Terraform config and Kubernetes cluster.
- Evolved a Node.js prototype-level backend using TypeScript and functional programming patterns into a production-level service, eliminating major sources of errors while continuing to ship new features.
- Developed and modernized a Clojure backend to use more compositional patterns and ease automated testing, heavily reducing code duplication where applied and allowing for faster, smoother deployment cycles.
- Improved report generation performance for a healthcare system by over 3000%, eliminating one of the top customer complaints for months in under a week.
- Mentored several developers from Junior to Senior levels on different technologies in short periods of time to adapt to each client's specific needs.
Programmable filter coffee machine
I'm currently working on making my own coffee machine to produce barista-level filter coffee at less than a tenth of the price of off-the-shelf comparable solutions. It's driven by a RISC-V microcontroller programmed in Rust, with a touch-based user interface and a native mobile application to customize the flow of water, temperature and fully log the process and results. It's a work in progress, so do ask me how it's going!
- Developed a proof of concept ERP-lite software that included a Go backend, an Elm backoffice SPA, and a native mobile+desktop application written in Kivy to help wholesale distribution companies organize their stock, customers, deals and track their assets in real time.
- Created the most popular UI widget library for Kivy: KivyMD
Web & APIs
- Go's net/http
- CSS, SCSS, CSS-in-JS
- Docker / OCI containers
- Terraform + Terragrunt
- GitHub Actions